For students planning to start in the spring or summer semesters - call 717-771-4053 to schedule an individual appointment with an adviser.
For students planning to start in the Fall semester:
New Student Orientation (NSO) Part 1: Academic Advising is conducted by Penn State's Division of Undergraduate Studies (DUS). This program assists new first-year students to evaluate their educational plans by providing them with a comprehensive program of testing, individualized educational planning and academic advising. All entering first-year students are given the opportunity to examine their academic abilities, interests, and educational plans before their first semester of classes.
At the York campus you will be invited to attend a half-day session on selected dates in mid-June through mid-August. The invitation letters will be mailed in mid-May AFTER your ALEKS Math Assessment and Educational Planning Survey are completed. Your families are encouraged to attend this day with you.
- provides you with an understanding of your academic preparation and ALEKS Math Assessment results
- provides you with a one-on-one interview with an adviser (during this interview, you will discuss your educational plans and the characteristics of those academic programs in which you have expressed an interest)
- familiarizes you with the academic structure of Penn State and with the wide range of degree programs available.
- acquaints you with the York campus, our procedures, some of our staff and faculty, and our out-of-class environment.
- helps you select courses and register for your first semester of study. Course selection is done via individual adviser meetings.