Are You an Adult Learner?
An adult learner is someone who is:
- 24 years of age or older
- a veteran of the armed services
- returning to school after four or more years of employment, homemaking, or other activity
- a person who assumes multiple adult roles such as parent, spouse/partner, employee, and student.
Penn State York faculty and staff recognize that adults may have unique needs or challenges associated with returning to the classroom, and they are committed to helping adult students address their concerns and make the most of their academic experience.
- Learn more about services and opportunities currently available to Penn State York adult students.
- Discover information about adult student Internet resources—both within and outside the Penn State system.
Adults often enter the college environment anxious and uncertain about their ability to be successful and to compete with “traditional” students. Current research indicates that adult students tend to be more successful than younger students because they:
- bring maturity and experience to the classroom
- are likely to have high levels of motivation
- often have more specific occupational goals
- have a desire to get the most education possible for their money
As an adult learner at Penn State York, you'll have unlimited potential to do the following:
- receive professional guidance and support throughout your academic journey
- select from more than 200 noncredit, certificate, and degree programs
- take advantage of a variety of scheduling options, such as enrolling part-time or full-time, participating in day and/or evening classes, completing a program at your workplace, or studying at home through correspondence or online courses
- interact with a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff
- accumulate college credits that are transferable to other learning institutions
- earn a certificate or degree that is respected worldwide
Please contact Annie Haines at 717-771-4197 or email@example.com with any questions or comments about the content of Web pages for adult students.
- Student Information