Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Attendance:
R. Bacha, A. Benhardbit, L. Berkowitz, M. Casteel, P. Catina, G. Collison, H. Darling, C. Dorworth, D. Eicher-Catt, R. Farrell, D. Folkers, T. Getz, J. Gibble, S. Gill, S. Gladfelter, F. Haag, A. Hasan, C. Heydl-Cortinez, M. Hoch, K. Ishida, E. Jenkins, A. Kara, O. Kucukemiroglu, K. Magni, N. Mpofu, J. Nesbitt, S. Shah, A. Siddiqui, N. Sloboda, J. Smeltzer, S. Staton-Taiwo, J. Sutton, D. Van de Streek, E. Wenk, V. White, D. Winters, Y. Beattie, S. Christ, M. Grigera, J. McCormick, J. Rodney, K. McElwain

  1. Minutes

    Minutes of December 1 meeting were approved without comment.

  2. Communication from administration, faculty students, and chair
    1. Dr. Rodney:
      1. reported that enrollments are running 30 behind one year ago; attributed the relative success to Dual Enrollment and Get a Jump programs.
      2. noted that a favorable editorial about the PFPAC appeared in The York Daily Record; announced upcoming performance of Rent and said that the two scheduled shows were almost sold out.
      3. stated that we should build on the possibilities of the PFPAC in our strategic plan with new academic programming; suggested possibility of developing a program, or academic minor, in theater.
      4. announced plans to develop a pilot 2+2 program in IST working with a University in India. Based on the University’s current projections, it promises to bring 40 full-time students to the York campus.
      5. shared that University College President, John Romano, has asked every University College to grow enrollment by 50 FT students for fall.
      6. indicated that a new Capital Campaign, as yet unnamed, would soon be underway.
        Dr. Jane Sutton asked how the Campaign would benefit faculty; Dr. Rodney responded that it would be used to support professional development efforts, such as conference travel and publication subvention.
    2. DAA, Dr. Joe McCormick:
      1. thanked the Scheduling Planning Group (Joan Smeltzer, Tom Getz, and Jane Emery); thanked all of the disciplines for bringing course selection information for the 2006-07 academic year and the 2007-08 academic year.
      2. reminded everyone that the deadline for applications for Advisory Board and Pullo Grants is Friday, April 7th.
      3. shared that Jane Sutton, chair of Faculty Affairs, has provided him with the names of five persons who may serve on the committee that will make recommendations to the DAA about Advisory Board and Pullo Grants. The DAA will contact these persons and ask them to serve on this committee.
      4. announced that the campus has funds from the Office of Undergraduate Research that will be used to support undergraduate research stipends ranging between $250 and $400. Each of the academic units should designate a faculty person to become a part of a committee that will review applications from the faculty for undergraduate research stipends. The formal call for applications will be available next week.
      5. shared that funds have been received from the Office of Information Technology Services to hire an electronic Learning Support Specialist
      6. noted that the DAA is currently working with the Engineering Technology (ET) faculty on a proposal to acquire much needed equipment from a grant provided to the School of Engineering (at University Park) by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Next Tuesday, the DAA will meet with members of the ET faculty, Dr. Rodney, and our development officer, Diane Hershey, to strategize on how the private funding match required for this proposal can be obtained. The proposal is due to the School of Engineering on February 28th.
      7. announced that on February 3rd the campus will have delivered by Polycom a mini-conference on Recruitment and Retention. All members of the staff and faculty are invited to attend. The event will run from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon tomorrow in MCB 31B.
      8. noted that applications for the ADAA position are still being accepted.
      9. stated that OPR entries must be completed by Monday, February 6th.
      10. reminded everyone who has not yet scheduled a pre-March conference appointment to do so.
      11. reported that the Office of Academic Affairs has contacted two candidates for the HDFS tenure track position. The first of these candidates will visit the campus on Friday, February 10th. The second will visit the campus on Friday, February 17th. An invitation has not yet been extended to a third candidate.
      12. announced that the English search committee has identified two candidates for the FTM position in English. Campus visits will take place on February 10th and February 17th.
      13. shared that the Curricular Affairs Committee will meet next Tuesday in MCB 113. The DAA will attend and address any curricular and faculty concerns.
    3. University Senators :
      1. Dr. Mark Casteel suggested that people from Student Affairs or TLTAC share with him concerns about student access to computers.
      2. Dr. Abul Hassan, representing the Benefits Committee, addressed a crisis related to rising healthcare costs. The Sentate is exploring HSAs (Health Savings Accounts).
      3. Dr. Leonard Berkowitz reminded everyone that a summary of changes to Promotion and Tenure policy had been sent out; stressed the importance of these changes.
    4. Faculty:
      1. Dr. Noel Sloboda announced that progress was being made on developing a series of "Conversations on College Teaching" for the spring semester. More information will be forthcoming.
      2. Dr. Abul Hassan reported on the standing of the Senate in relation to other campus bodies.
    5. Staff:
      1. Standing in for Director of Admissions Mrs. Sherri Bett, Dr. Sharon Christ reviewed admissions activities to take place in March and April; reported on anticipated changes to the organization of the spring Open House (scheduled for 4/1); welcomed input from the campus on new ideas for recruitment and retention.
        Dr. Ali Kara asked if any new resources had been allocated to support the campus in reaching its goal of recruiting 50 new full-time students. Dr. Christ responded that new Chancellor’s scholarships enhanced recruitment efforts.
        Suzanne Glatfelter noted a correction on the times for the "Explore the World of Science, Engineering, and Information Sciences and Technology." The program will run from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
      2. Dr. Sharon Christ reported on changes to FYS, noting the elimination of the “3+1” model and the introduction of the “S” model. These changes will be implemented in fall 2006.
    6. Student Government Representative, SGA president Karen McElwain:
      1. introduced herself.
      2. emphasized that students are committed to the University growing, improving, and creating new activities for students.
      3. suggested that a staff evaluation program be introduced.
    7. Senate Chair, Mr. Fred Haag:
      1. reported that a University Senate election was underway; that ballots should be submitted by 2:00 P.M. on Tuesday. The candidates are Dr. Mark Casteel and Dr. Robert Farrell. Ballots are due by Tuesday, February 7th.
      2. stated that campus Senate Chairs would be meeting next week on Wednesday, February 8th, to discuss campus needs in relation to the upcoming Capital Campaign.
  3. Unfinished Business
    1. No unfinished business was addressed by the Senate
  4. New Business:
    1. No new business was addressed by the Senate.
  5. Forensic Business: Reports from Standing Committees:
    1. Faculty Affairs Chair Dr. Jane Sutton announced two colloquia, one on March 29th, led by Dr. Jaques Gibble, another on April 25th, led by Dr. Kaori Ishida.
    2. TLTAC Chair Emily Wenk announced that the committee supported a newly proposed policy of faculty printing the work of students who have exceeded their page quotas.
    3. Dr. Jennifer Nesbitt reported two events scheduled as part of Women’s History Month for March 2nd and March 3rd. More details will be forthcoming.
    4. University Senator Dr. Leonard Berkowitz led a discussion on the Report & Recommendations for faculty governance in the University College (1-18-06); stressed that February 8th is the deadline for input on this recommendation.
  6. Adjournment
  7. Motion to adjourn was approved at 1:19 p.m.
The next Senate meeting will be held on Thursday, March 2, 12:10-1:10 p.m. in room 107, ISTC


This page last updated: February 28, 2006 2:35 PM
This server is provided and maintained by the Penn State York Office of C&IS. If you need to communicate with our staff regarding this website, send electronic mail to: York campus webmaster.