Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

In attendance:

B. Babcock, C. Bare, A. Benharbit, W. Cantor, C. Callahan, M. Casteel, D. Coho, G. Collison, M. Coyle, H. Darling, J. Dawson, D. Eicher-Catt, R. Farrell, C. Gaston, T. Getz, S. Gladfelter, F. Haag, E. Harrison, A. Hasan, M. Hoch, L. Itzoe, M. Jarrett, K. Knapp, O. J. Leece, L. Miller, N. Mpofu, L. Newcomer, J. O'Hara, P. Oles, M. Posenau, S. Robinson, D. Russell, D. Sarafian, J. Smeltzer, K. Trout, D. Van de Streek, V. White, M. Wijesinha, D. Winters, D. Gogniat, B. Ward, C. Clancy, N. Flesher

Chair M. Jarrett called the meeting to order at 12:11 p.m. Minutes of the February 21, 2002, faculty senate meeting were accepted unanimously.

COMMUNICATIONS

Administration

D. Gogniat: HACC will not be offering fall classes in York.

The DAA search is progressing and the candidates are visiting the campus.

The English position will be FT-I. Offers were made but not accepted, so we'll try again next year.

University Senators

J. Dawson: The faculty benefits committee is working on the issue of lifetime caps on medical benefits (currently $500,000 per family, which is far below other Big 10 schools and most large companies).

Faculty salary reports are on green sheets in the library.

M. Casteel: Grades reports show the number of A's going up

J. Dawson: The state legislature is thinking of allowing additional retirement plan choices.

UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

M. Jarrett: We need a new CWC senator. If you would like to run, please submit your name. The slate of candidates will be announced at the next senate meeting.

CWC is working on guidelines for peer review of teaching for faculty on tenure line (for tenure and promotion purposes). The College is trying to regularize procedures.

E. Harrison: It sounds like what we already do.

M. Jarrett: We were the template. Please let M. Jarrett or D. Sarafian know what you think.

 

Student Government Association

B. Ward: I was re-elected president. We were pleased with the large voter turnout.

Spring week is coming. SGA is attempting to reduce student apathy by having activities.

Students have come to him about parking and non-students taking newspapers.

M. Jarrett: Perhaps Holly and Brad could get together for a meeting to create an ad hoc committee of faculty and students next year.

A. Hasan: There are no signs indicating the lower lots are for students only. Those areas appear to be for anyone.

M. Coyle: Could something be done over the summer?

B. Ward: A variety of signs all over campus telling people in which direction to go would be good.

D.Van de Streek: There is a "students only" sign at the far end of the parking lot

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Diversity:

D. Russell: Next Wednesday from 11 - 2, we will be celebrating Unity Day. There will be free food and a Jeopardy-type game. Faculty contestants are needed.

G. Collison: There will be a display of American Studies projects Thursday 12 - 1 in the Community room. Food will be provided.

C. Russell: On Monday the 15th from 12 - 1 in IST 107, Cecilia's students will talk about their trip to Spain.

Sharon Christ will talk about her trip to China soon (Friday?)

Futures:

R. Farrell: He and K. Trout went to William Penn HS and spoke to approximately 27 students about Penn State York. A couple of them even signed up for Be A Student for A Day.

A representative of Comcast spoke to us about cable TV advertising. Another meeting regarding ads will be held on Wednesday the 24th and all are welcome.

Please participate in open house on Saturday the 13th.

DAA Search Committee:

R. Farrell: One finalist has visited the campus. Those who missed it can watch the videotape. A meeting for faculty to talk about the candidates should be held Tuesday, April 30 at noon. This is finals week, but it is hoped everyone can participate.

Faculty Announcements:

A. Benharbit: The 4 year English degree has been approved.

M. Jarrett: We should be hearing about the business minor soon.

NEW BUSINESS:

Faculty Affairs:

G. Collison: The campus has been missing opportunities to possibly win major college and university awards. We have created a procedure to try to nominate more people for awards:

"The CEO and DAA will disseminate information about awards, including a call for nominations, to the campus community at appropriate times during the academic year.

"Twice a year, the DAA will call a meeting of the Awards Committee consisting of the DAA, CEO, Campus Senate Chair, and the past Chair of the Campus Promotion and Tenure committee. The committee will review a list of potential nominees and, if one or more candidates appear ready to compete successfully for awards, ask the DAA to prepare a nomination packet or packets.

"The DAA's and/or CEO's office will be responsible for completing and submitting the nomination packet or packets.

"The committee will maintain a list of potential future nominees for reference purposes only."

L. Itzoe: Did the committee talk about what materials would be needed? In the past, there have been questions of confidentiality.

T. Getz: Why is the past chairman of the P&T committee included rather than the current chair of the Teaching Awards committee?

M. Jarrett: There is already a mass of information, and the past chair has seen lots of reports and research.

A. Hassan: In regard to knowing the backgrounds of people, people on the Teaching Awards committee would have seen 4 years worth of comments, but the P&T person would have a broader view for a shorter time.

M. Jarrett: There are many ways to move names around. For example, the DAA already knows the names of all the people nominated for a teaching award.

A. Hassan: What would be the difference between the past P&T chair and the past Teaching Awards chair? There doesn't seem to be a strong reason to use the P&T chair.

L. Newcomer: Can we just add both of them so the committee has an additional person?

F. Haag: We were trying to streamline the process. We didn't want it to be a big, difficult committee to serve on.

A. Hasson: Even numbered committees make it hard to break a tie. An odd number is good.

L. Newcomer: I motion to make, as a friendly amendment, this change.

G. Collison: The amendment is not accepted.

A vote was held by show of hands, with 32 for and 4 against the proposal.

G. Collison: L. Berkowitz sent an email regarding SRTEs. Tenure track faculty evaluate courses every 3rd time they teach them. This is not sufficient for showing improvement in teaching. Also, some SRTEs are included and others are not.

I make a motion that faculty on the tenure track evaluate each course every time.

M. Casteel: I second the motion.

D. Russell: The number of students in a class can really influence the results.

Casteel: The number of students is noted on the SRTEs.

M. Jarrett: This will not be retroactive to this current semester.

The motion passed by a voice vote.

 

S. Gladfelter: Math Options for Women (for 7th grade girls) will be held May 3. Anyone who would like to set up a table during the career fair from 1:45 - 2:30 should see Nan. Anyone who would like to just observe should see me.

H. Darling: D. Gogniat received an award.

Senate applauded this accomplishment.

M. Posenau: The first year seminar is only required for 4 year degree students, but many others would benefit. I am asking for comment.

M. Jarrett: See me about putting it on the agenda for next time.

J. Dawson: I am concerned for the disturbing loss of congeniality among faculty and people not attending events.

M. Jarrett: That would be a good issue to pose to the DAA candidates.

D. Gogniat: Students come to me about getting to know faculty.

B. Ward: Students like to see faculty eat lunch at the Lion's Den.

 

Chair M. Jarrett adjourned the meeting at 1:15 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sherry Robinson


This page last updated: July 10, 2000 7:10 PM
This server is provided and maintained by the Penn State York Office of C&IS. If you need to communicate with our staff regarding this website, send electronic mail to: York campus webmaster.