Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index
Those attending: C. Bare, A. Benharbit, L. Berkowitz, B. Broadbent, C. Callahan, W. Cantor, M.Casteel, M. Coyle, H. Darling, J. Dawson, C. Dorworth, C. Dzubak, D. Eicher-Catt, R. Farrell, A.Fetterman, T. Getz, S. Gill, F. Haag, A. Hasan, R. Himmer, M. Hoch, L. Itzoe, J. Keat, K. Knapp,O. Kucukemiroglu, J. Leece, K. Magni, M. Marcus, L. Miller, C. Murphy, L. Newcomer, M.Posenau, D. Russell, A. Siddiqui, J. Smeltzer, K. Trout, D. Van de Streek, E. Wenk, V. White, D.Winters, B. Dennis, T. Engdahl, J. McCormick, B. Ward, H. Gumke, B. Vangreen, W. Brander, F.Miller, N. Flesher

Chair Mike Jarrett called the meeting to order at 12:10 p.m. The minutes of the previous Senate
meeting were approved.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Chair:

M. Jarrett

Faculty, staff, and students are invited to a meeting in the Community Room on Friday, November 8,at 12 noon to discuss CEO candidates. Dean Disney is surprised to have received so few commentsfrom the members of the campus. Please e-mail comments to Dean Disney at disneyd@psu.edu.

DAA:

J. McCormick

Undergraduate research stipends for $500 are available throughout the year. Applications are available at the Commonwealth College web site.

Dean Gleason is currently developing a Teaching Effectiveness Grant. The criteria is still being established, and the program probably will be rolled out in December. The possibility exists that collaborative projects will be more highly funded, so proposals for such projects should be developed for Summer and Fall 2003.

Additional money for equipment purchases has been made available for York. The money must be spent by the end of the current fiscal year.

H. Gumke

Upgrades for the Conference Center are being considered, notably better, soundproof partitions. Currently $70,000 is available for improvements. An additional $50,000 from UCIF might be used for projectors, screens, wireless devices.

J. McCormick

The funds are not limited to Conference Center improvements. Comments for other projects can be sent to Joe (jpm32).

L. Berkowitz

Requests from Science and Engineering faculty need to be kept in mind constantly for when funds become available.

M. Jarrett

Upgrades for other rooms might be cheaper and have a higher priority. Shawn Foley needs to be involved in these conversations to provide pedagogical rationale for decisions. Requests need to be more fully vetted through the Campus Senate, perhaps in connection with Space Reallocation.

F. Haag

Can the extra money be used to fund items in the strategic plan left unfunded?

H. Gumke

Funds come from major maintenance and cannot be floated to other projects.

D. Folkers

Conference Center improvement requests originate from two sources: Continuing Education, which uses the classrooms all the time, and from a broader sense that the Conference Center currently is not functional for full-scale conferences.

B. Himmer

Senate committees like Info Tech and Support Services should be involved in the process and doing the work currently being done by administration. The budget creation process should originate with the administration and then involve the committees to put together proposals.

FALL CALENDAR

S. Christ

The start day for Fall 2003 is Tuesday, September 2, the day after Labor Day. Because Convocation usually takes place on the Monday before classes, the campus has two options to avoid a conflict: (1) Move Convocation to Friday, August 29; or (2) ask the CEO to petition UP to allow the campus to begin classes on Wednesday, September 3.

Sharon will check to see if that instruction day is then lost or recouped in the schedule.

The Campus Senate unanimously endorses option 2.

LIBRARY APPEALS COMMITTEE

D. Van de Streek

University Libraries has asked each campus to create an Appeals committee to hear complaints about library fees. The committee would be made up of four individuals: a faculty member, a student, a staff member, and a library staff member. The committee would probably meet only once or twice a semester. UP has established guidelines.

The question is whether or not this committee should be a Senate subcommittee. The Appeals Committee would be advisory to the Library; it would not establish or alter policy. Other models of such committees currently exist (bookstore, parking fees). The committee would provide binding advice for the library.

The Senate unanimously endorses the idea that the Appeals Committee not be a standing subcommittee of the Senate.

SCHEDULE EVALUATION COMMITTEE

M. Hoch

The Schedule Evaluation Committee will be distributing two surveys, one to students and one to faculty, to determine what problems exist with current scheduling procedures. The differences between the two surveys are currently being worked out. Anyone who would like to see the surveys before they are distributed is welcome.

The Science Speakers series is set to go beginning February 5 and running through April 9. Each speaker will present at 7 p.m. in the Community Room. All topics science will be discussed during the course of the lecture series.

SENATE ROLE IN THE BUDGET PROCESS

ARTICLE V:

Upon receiving by September 10 from the appropriate budget administrator a draft budget proposal for next academic year, each committee chair will initiate committee consideration of the proposal. Committee consideration of budget matters will be concluded by October 20, at which time committee chairs will forward their committee's budget recommendations to the Senate Chair.

Upon receipt of the committees' budget recommendations, the Senate Chair will promptly circulate the recommendations to all Senate members for review. Any Senate consideration of budget proposals will be completed by the end of the Fall Semester, and the Senate Chair will forward the Senate's recommendations to the Chair of the Strategic Planning Committee by December 31. Should the necessity arise, the Senate may reconsider a budget proposal after December 31.

M. Jarrett

This process of budgeting should be item #1 in the next front-line staff meeting and item #1 at the next Strategic Planning Committee meeting.

A. Hasan

The Senate Chair should have a meeting with the committee and subcommittee chairs to inform them of deadlines and to discuss budgets. Committee chairs can generate budget requests on their own as well.

B. Himmer

The CEO is responsible for generating budget figures, not the Senate Chair.

STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION

B. Ward

Introduction of Will Brander, SGA Vice President.

Clubs and organizations are doing very well. The Debate Club is participating in a competition at the University of Pennsylvania this weekend. The Community Service Club is working with the York Rescue Mission during the next two weekends packaging and serving food in anticipation of Thanksgiving. The Volleyball Club played York College's two teams and beat the B team.

The Caucus of Student Governments is meeting this weekend at Mont Alto to establish a uniform set of guidelines for student government and clubs. Three members from the York campus will be attending.

THON requests of faculty and staff will be forthcoming.

Based on feedback, students seem to be actively participating on Senate committees.

ENROLLMENT REPORT

Frank Miller distributed an enrollment report and answered faculty questions concerning it.

A. Fetterman/T. Getz

PLEASE NOTE: FOR THIS PORTION OF THE MINUTES, I HAVE SIMPLY CUT AND
PASTED TOM'S E-MAIL MESSAGE

I am following up on a comment made ten minutes ago at the York Campus Senate meeting. There is frequently quite a "crush" around the copying machine in the adjunct faculty office near the mailboxes. My understanding is that that machine is available to any faculty or staff on the campus. However, I would ask that if another copier is available to you -- in ISTC, in the copying room (Carole Wagner), in a staff area -- please use it instead of the one in the adjunct area. Perhaps the process here can
simply be one of courtesy -- not disrupting adjunct work in that office and giving adjunct faculty first dibs on the machine whenever possible.

ACADEMIC QUALITY AND LEVEL OF APPOINTMENT

M. Jarrett

To better distinguish Penn State York from HACC, the campus should establish a statement of best practices regarding the use of all fixed term faculty, in anticipation of the arrival of the new CEO. A committee needs to be formed to establish these practices, and volunteers for this committee are welcome.

Suggestions:

Looking at data over the past half dozen years to track the use of fixed term faculty

Tracking the percentage of classes offered by tenured/tenure-line faculty vs. fixed term faculty via discipline

Looking at where PSY students go once they have graduated

Chair Jarrett adjourned the meeting at 1:25 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 


This page last updated: July 10, 2000 7:10 PM
This server is provided and maintained by the Penn State York Office of C&IS. If you need to communicate with our staff regarding this website, send electronic mail to: York campus webmaster.