In attendance: B. Babcock, A. Benharbit, L. Berkowitz, B. Broadbent, W. Cantor, M. Casteel, D. Coho, G. Collison, E. Cooper, M. Coyle, H. Darling, J. Dawson, C. Dzubak, R. Farrell, C. Gaston, T. Getz, S. Gladfelter, F. Haag, E. Harrison, A. Hasan, R. Himmer, M. Jarrett, A. Kara, O. Kucukemiroglu, D. Latzko, J. Leece, M. Marcus, C. Murphy, L. Newcomer, M. Nicholas, J. O?Hara, T. Parks, C. Plumb, M. Posenau, D. Russell, D. Sarafian, A. Siddiqui, J. Smeltzer, K. Swalgin, M. Wijesinha, D. Winters, A. Fetterman, J. Noll, S. Caldwell, S. Christ, K. Lynch, S. Sullivan, B. Gill-McDonald, C. Clancy, B. Landis, T. Riley, S. Werner
Chair Gary Collison called the meeting to order at 12:10 PM. The minutes of the January 13th meeting were approved by consensus.
- The Chair asks that announcements also be circulated to the faculty and the campus community by e-mail.
- There will be a 4LAS brown bag lunch meeting on February 17 at noon in room 107 ISTC. Courses and course selection will be discussed.
Commonwealth College Senators:
- Several issues were discussed at the last CWC Senate meeting. Associate Dean Sandy Gleason is positive about forever linking promotion and tenure. $50,000 in undergraduate research grants is available each year. A discussion was held on the suggestions from the faculty meeting. Handouts will be available in the lounges.
- We need to elect a CWC Senator. D. Sarafian and K. Swalgin are candidates; additional nominations are sought. A mail election will be conducted next week.
- Nominations of senior-level faculty are sought for the College Promotion and Tenure and Sabbatical Review Committees.
L. Berkowitz: The next University Senate meeting is February 29. Agendas and records are available on the web. Among the items are the promotion and tenure question, a change to the limit on the number of credits a non-degree student can take from 10 to 12, changing the clock for associate degree students who continue on in a bachelors program, and academic integrity reports.
D. Russell: A screening of Melvin Van Peebles Classified X will be held on Tuesday, February 15 at 12:00 in the Community Room. The film lasts 50 minutes.
S. Christ: The Student Newspaper Readership Program has started. It is funded with student activity fees. On Wednesday, February 16, a representative from the New York Times will hold a seminar at 12:00 on using newspapers in classes. Lunch will be provided. Please RSVP to S. Christ.
T. Riley: The associate degree in Manufacturing Technology has been approved.
S. Sullivan: Fundraising is going well. A new senator has been selected. The fashion show raised over $1000.
OLD BUSINESSISTC Name Change
No objections were raised to renaming the building the Information Sciences and Technology Building.
Review Process for faculty Pullo and Advisory Board grants
Various alternatives were discussed. A motion was made by C. Plumb that the DAA and a committee of faculty members review the proposals in concert. M. Casteel seconded the motion. The motion was approved.
M. Jarrett motioned that the Faculty Affairs Committee be charged with developing a mechanism for the selection of faculty reviewers to bring to the Senate. C. Murphy seconded the motion. The motion was approved.
NEW BUSINESS2-HDFS program proposal
A proposal to bring the associate degree in Human Development and Family Studies (2HDFS) to Penn State York was presented by A. Benharbit, B. Broadbent, and B. Gill-McDonald. The motion to offer in Fall 2000 or Spring 2001 the 2HDFS degree as described in the Programs Bulletin will be voted on by electronic ballot.
Tenure with or without Promotion
The recommendation of the University Senate Committee on Faculty Affairs to change the language of HR-23 was discussed. Faculty are generally opposed to the recommendation. University Senators would like to hear alternatives.
The meeting adjourned at 1:19 PM.
This page last updated: February 4, 2004 4:44 PM
This server is provided and maintained by the Penn State York Office of C&IS. If you need to communicate with our staff regarding this website, send electronic mail to: York campus webmaster.