In attendance: B. Babcock, C. Bare, A. Benharbit, L. Berkowitz, W. Cantor, M. Casteel, D. Coho, G. Collison, M. Coyle, H. Darling, C. Dzubak, R. Farrell, C. Gaston, T. Getz, S. Gladfelter, F. Haag, E. Harrison, A. Hasan, L. Itzoe, M. Jarrett, A. Kara, O. Kucukemiroglu, D. Latzko, J. Leece, M. Marcus, C. Murphy, L. Newcomer, M. Nicholas, J. O’Hara, M. Posenau, D. Russell, A. Siddiqui, J. Smeltzer, J. Sutton, D. Van de Streek, A. Fetterman, R. O’Connell, S. Christ, D. Gogniat, B. Dennis, S. Werner, N. Flesher, S. Simonds, T. Engdahl
Chair Gary Collison called the meeting to order at 12:12 PM. The minutes of the March 16th meeting were approved by consensus.
- A space allocation committee for the church property will need to be formed in the fall.
- 5 search committees will be needed in the fall.
- John Cahir was impressed with how seriously the campus took the AD-14 review.
- This will be a tough budget year coming up; the budget will concentrate more on faculty and staff salaries.
- The new security officer starts on April 17. He will meet with faculty and staff on security issues.
- FYS is being discussed.
- Residence halls were discussed during an executive meeting of the Advisory Board.
- The by-laws of Senate committees regarding the make-up of committees need to be discussed.
Strategic Planning Committee:
- The SPC approved the top priority items from each committee. Committees will be informed of the details of their requests.
- A brochure has been created by the Student Government on student use of credit cards.
- An informational report on non-tenure faculty is available on-line or from the University Senators.
- At the April meeting, reports from the Task Force on Intellectual Properties (available on-line and in the faculty lounge) and from the Undergraduate Education Committee as well as a report comparing PSU salaries with other institutions will be presented.
Commonwealth College Senators:
- H. Sarafian is putting together a data base of faculty research interests and asks the math and science faculty to look at the web page. The URL's are http://www.clat.psu.edu/database/resmath.htm and http://www.clat.psu.edu/database/resbio.htm.
- The promotion and tenure workshop in the fall will be offered via Pictel.
- The DAA’s and Deans will be meeting about moving the CWC forward.
- The 4LAS proposal has moved to John Cahir’s office.
- The FAC needs to develop the campus criteria for promotion to senior lecturer.
Year-End Committee Reports
M. Jarrett: A written report of the committee’s topics of discussion was presented.
A. Benharbit: The committee discussed the HDFS proposal, heard an update on the Lancaster Center, and discussed the 4MET proposal.
J. Leece: The committee is talking with the program directors in order to develop its mission statement.
D. Van de Streek: The committee has not met. It meets next week.
Academic and Student Issues:
C. Dzubak: Two sub-committees have been formed: one to deal with full-time and part-time faculty issues and one on retention and student satisfaction.
B. Dennis: The committee is working on redesigning the web site and developing a marketing plan for the campus.
Cultural Diversity and Enrichment:
L. Itzoe: A list of the activities and programs the committee either organized or assisted in presenting this semester was handed out.
Teaching Awards Committee:
L. Itzoe: The winners of the James H. Burness Teaching Awards are Leonard Berkowitz (full-time faculty) and Wanda Newhouse (part-time faculty).
O. Kucukemiroglu: Tom Parks has won the Advising Award.
B. Babcock: A handout detailing the committee’s current activities was distibuted.
S. Christ: The awards banquet is in the conference center this year.
R. Farrell: The biology lab is available for field trips for school-age children.
N. Flesher: Be A Penn State Student for a Day will be held this Wednesday during the 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00 classes.
S. Christ presented a handout on campus cultural programming. Average attendance has dropped from 200 to 58. A discussion of ways to improve attendance ensued and will be continued at a brown-bag lunch.
The meeting adjourned at 1:19 PM.
This page last updated: July 10, 2000 7:10 PM
This server is provided and maintained by the Penn State York Office of C&IS. If you need to communicate with our staff regarding this website, send electronic mail to: York campus webmaster.