In attendance: L. Berkowitz, W. Cantor, M. Casteel, G. Collison, H. Darling, C. Gaston, T. Getz, S. Gladfelter, F. Haag, E. Harrison, A. Hasan, C. Heydl-Cortinez, L. Itzoe, M. Jarrett, D. Latzko, J. Leece, M. Marcus, L. Newcomer, J. O'Hara, M. Posenau, S. Robinson, D. Russell, J. Smeltzer, J. Sutton, K. Swalgin, K. Trout, D. Winters, R. O'Connell, W. Eaton, D. Gogniat, S. Werner, C. Clancy, N. Flesher, C. Klinedinst, J. Higgins, J. Pietrolaj
Chair Gary Collison called the meeting to order at 12:12 PM. The minutes of the September 14th meeting were approved by consensus.
- More 4 year baccalaureate degrees are in the pipeline for Fall 2001: IST, EMET, and Science.
- The campus is down in student credit hours. This means that the budget will go down. We need more traditional, straight from high school baccalaureate students.
- The University has forwarded the library/performing arts center building proposal to the Governor to be passed on to the Department of General Services.
- A company has spent $50,000 to $100,000 researching residential facilities on city-owned land behind the Weis Market adjacent to campus. If all goes well, the facility would be owned by the city and managed by a private company. A portion of the profits would go towards an admissions officer. A meeting with the Development Authority is scheduled for November 16.
- The church has borrowed $1 million and narrowed down to two sites but the hospital may not be a partner when the church finally makes a decision to sell.
W. Eaton: More details will be forthcoming on hiring plans for existing and new programs. 7 positions are expected for the fall.
Strategic Planning Committee:
J. O'Hara: The Strategic Planning Committee is discussing and reassessing the vision and mission statements and quality indicators in the Strategic Plan. Input from the campus is sought.
Commonwealth College Senators:
- The part-time faculty representatives to the Campus Senate are R. O'Connell, C. Klinedinst, J. Higgins, and G. Rutledge.
- A call for faculty members to join the Space Allocation Committee has been made.
- A search committee for the 2FSCC position will be pulled together this week.
- The nominating committees for Senate Officers (C. Heydl-Cortinez and A. Kara) and the Strategic Planning Committee (E. Harrison) are working on slates.
CHANGES IN TENURE AND PROMOTION PROCEDURES
M. Jarrett circulated the Faculty Affairs Committee's draft of proposed changes in campus promotion and tenure guidelines at the last Senate meeting. These changes bring campus practice into alignment with college policy. The Faculty Affairs Committee presented three motions at this meeting. The first was for approval of the campus guidelines for Tenure and Promotion as amended by the Senate to exclude division heads from serving on Tenure and Promotion Review Committees and the deletion of number 3 in section E: Review Procedures. The motion was approved.
The second motion was for approval of the Guidelines and Procedures for the Conduct of Peer Review of Teaching for Promotion and Tenure Review at the York Campus. The motion was approved.
The third motion authorizes the DAA and his staff to make editorial changes to campus documents to reflect the changes in the promotion and tenure guidelines. The motion was approved.
REPORT OF THE AD HOC COMMITTEE ON INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT
M. Jarrett presented the committee's report and asked for Campus Senate endorsement of the recommendation to hire a full-time Instructional Design Specialist. A discussion ensued and will be continued at the next Senate meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 1:24 PM.
This page last updated: July 10, 2000 7:10 PM
This server is provided and maintained by the Penn State York Office of C&IS. If you need to communicate with our staff regarding this website, send electronic mail to: York campus webmaster.